ABOUT C&B DEPARTMENT
The Citizenship and Business Department has the responsibility for administering and enforcing the provisions of immigration Act, 1963 as they relate to the establishment of business in Nigeria and the employment of expatriates. In other words, the Department is entrusted principally with the following responsibility:
- Issuance of Business Permit and Expatriate Quota positions, and
- Monitoring the execution of the Quota positions granted in order to ensure effective transfer of technology to Nigerians and eventual indigenization of the positions occupied by the Expatriates.
This department is also responsible for upholding the 1990 Marriage Act, CAP 218, Laws of the Federation. In other words, their duties include:
- Granting of secured marriage certificates
- Place of worship licensing (so places of worship can be legally certified to conduct statutory marriages in Nigeria)
- Conducting of marriages at the Federal Marriage Registries.
Lastly, in accordance to the Immigration Act, this department is responsible for either granting or withdrawing of citizenships. Their duties include:
- Evaluating applications for Citizenship by Naturalization, Confirmation or Registration.
- Granting of the Special Immigration Status
- Granting of a Temporary Residence Permit
- Granting of Renunciation of Nigerian Citizenship.